Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad guys in the world that would rather steal money rather than work for it. It is critical to maintain the security of your Money and your Identity.
- Use safe Net practices
- Use Secure Web sites with https:
- Only share credit card information with people/sites you know
- Freeze Your Credit, sign up for Credit Report Alerts: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs
- Limit the number of credit cards you use and use only one for online purchases.
- Share personal information on a very limited basis
- Use a personal information security program such as LifeLock
- Backup your data carbonite.com
- Avoid Public Hot Spots
- Use unique and strong Passwords. Better yet, use a Password Manager: https://www.consumersadvocate.org/password-manager/
- Shred personal information at home
- Do not email personal information such as social security numbers. Call the requester directly if the request is legitimate.
Mrs. FiredUp and I have experienced several cases of ID Theft and credit card/debit card theft. Our credit card number has been stolen on a number of occasions. Most of these cases were caught by the credit card company. We have since frozen our credit to ensure no one can take out credit in our names.
Please share your comments and experiences related to Protecting Your Money